Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Honorary Student of the Year

Weston's teacher Mrs. Osborn called and asked Allen and I to come to her room early before the Elementary awards ceremony. When I walked in the room all the kids started saying, "Hi Weston's Mom". It was all that I could do to not start crying. She presented us with these ribbons that she had Mrs. Keith make. Each one of his classmates and her were wearing one. The principal, secretary and others had ribbons as well. It was a neat tribute to Weston.

At the ceremony, after Mrs. Osborn had presented the awards to her class she read the following statement:

As I end my awards presentation, the first graders and I could not go without recognizing our classmate and student that passed away in october. Weston was our friend, buddy and an outstanding student. We are wearing our ribbons in remembrance of Weston. When I asked if I could do this Weston's Mom said to me "It is sad, but it makes us feel good to remember." Remembering is what these students and I have done; As I read the prepared statement from our counselors the class was very saddened---they had many questions but mostly what I heard was "We miss Weston." I heard this when we wrote in our journals, when we wrote our Santa letters, when we made our zoo books, and when we received our Memory Books. I just heard again today that they miss Weston. The children were excited when they checked out books donated in Weston's memory and they call these Weston's books. Thank you, Weston's family for these memories. I would like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins and their children for letting us have this closure.

Weston had these awards: Reading, Language, Spelling, Math, Science, Social Studies, Craft Club, reading Circle, Book Worm, Perfect Attendance, and he is our, Honorary Student of the Year. Thank You, Mrs. Osborn

Allen was too emotional to speak. I Thanked the Community and School District for the many acts of services that they have given to our family. I also thanked the Students of Lakeland for taking our children under their wings and for being good friends. I thanked the teachers for all they have done. I thanked his classmates for being good friends to Weston. I told them that Weston loved his class and his teacher. That is all I can remember that I said, I was shaking and crying and can't remember anything else. It was very touching, it was very hard, and it felt very good to remember him publicly.


The yearbook publisher made a dedication page to the front of this years Yearbook. It was really cute. They brought by 5 copies to our home the day before they distributed them to the school, so we could see it before they came out. This is the poem that was on the page:

Time spent with you

Was so very precious

Even if only for a very short time

We hold a special memory

Close inside these hearts of ours

To us you were very special
Much more than words can say
We still love you now little angel
And we'll remember you every day.
Author Unknown

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Thanks so much for sharing these tender moments. We love you!