Friday, May 16, 2008

Weston's Class

Vernet (Allen's Sister) wrote a story about Weston and gave it to us at Christmas. It was such a perfect story about Weston. I was talking to his teacher and she mentioned that the kids were really struggling with Westons death. When I received Vernets story I decided to get it published and give each one of Weston's classmates a copy. I got online and emailed several companies for quotes. The quotes were between $1500 and $2100. I gave up on that idea and then one day I got an email from BRIO print. Here is what it said:

Hi Cindy. On behalf of BRIOprint, please accept our deepest condolences. We will gladly donate our services to this heartfelt endeavor. Our hope is this gesture will in some small way assuage the pain of such a profound loss, and forge the life-lasting memory of your son in the young hearts and minds of his classmates.

I was floored. I couldn't believe it. So they got busy and we had the book finished the day before school let out. It turned out so cute!! We added at dedication page to the book. You should have seen us the day they arrived in the mail. We were all so excited, it was like Christmas! Thank you so much Vernet!! It was such a special thing for our family to get.
We went to Weston's class and brought cookies and milk and read them the story. We also invited Landon Dull, Tracy Munsterman and Brooke Dunning to join us, since they were also Weson's good friends but not in his class. Then we had them sign each others books. They were all so cute, they all wanted to make sure that our family all signed their books also. We had them sign our books too.







One little girls came up to me and said, "Mrs. Wilkins, Weston and I had a hard time remembering how to spell purple so everyday we would say to each other P-U-R...P-L-E. I sure miss him"













After then end of the story we gave them an animal that grows in water. Mrs. Osborn surpised us in the end. The girls each gave me a flower and then we all took balloons outside and let them go to Weston.















Nate Shroyer our neighbor let his balloon go before everyone elses. The other kids kindof got on him and he came up to me and said, "Do you know why I let my balloon go first?" I said, "No, Nate how come" He said, "I miss Weston so much" then he started to cry, "I didn't want him to fall off the wagon and die, he was my best friend, so I let my balloon go first so he could get mine first!"

It was a special day for us. It was fun to honor and keep Weston's memory alive. I feel so sorry for his classmates. They have really struggled this year. But I am sure they will be fine with time.

1 comment:

rosie said...

Cindy,
This is such a sweet book! You are such an amazing mom to do all of that for his class! We sure love you guys!